About BC Safe Church
Abuse is a darkness that stands in stark contrast to the way of our Lord. In abuse, power and control are used over others for selfish gain. By contrast, Christians are called to live with the same mind as our Lord Jesus, who in humility gave up his power in loving service to others (Philippians 2).
BC Safe Church equips churches to cultivate safe communities for all people. Studies and statistics today indicate the incidence of abuse in the church are equal to that of the general population. Through a trifold mandate of education, support, and response—which includes the Advisory Panel, a church process to hear allegations of church leader misconduct—we help churches set up and implement procedures that reduce the risks of abuse, protect church leaders and volunteers and provide safe ministry environments.
The Safe Church Ministry came into being in the 1990’s after the Synod of the Christian Reformed Church (CRC) began addressing the problem of abuse among the membership of the CRC. They had commissioned Calvin College Social Research Center in 1989 to conduct a survey on abuse, and the results brought to light some shocking statistics.
- 28% of adults in the CRC experienced physical, sexual, or emotional abuse
- 15% of adults in the CRC abused another person physically, sexually, or emotionally
- Children between birth and 12 years old are at greatest risk of abuse
- Persons with a disability are 2-3 time more likely to experience abuse
This survey resulted in the Synodical decision to:
- Develop the CRC Office of Abuse Prevention in 1994
- Urge the churches to develop Child Safety Policies
- Develop the Advisory Panel process which is a process to be used by the churches when they are responding to an allegation of abuse committed by a person who holds or has held a church leadership position. The Advisory Panel is facilitated by classis Safe Church Teams like BC Safe Church.
One of the goals of the classis Safe Church Team is to support each church council & congregation build and sustain healthy, respectful and safe interactions between church leaders and those who participate in church programs or worship at the church.
The British Columbia Safe Church Team (SCT) is a BC Classis Partner helping build and sustain healthy congregations. We are a ministry of the Christian Reformed Churches (CRC) in British Columbia – Classis BCNW and Classis BCSE. We exist to respond to the issue of physical, sexual, emotional, and abuse related concerns through preventative education and appropriate responding procedures.
ShelterSafe is an online resource to help women and children seeking information or safety from violence and abuse.
The British Columbia Safe Church Team (SCT) is a BC Classis Partner helping build and sustain healthy congregations. We are a ministry of the Christian Reformed Churches (CRC) in British Columbia - Classis BCNW and Classis BCSE. We exist to respond to the issue of physical, sexual, emotional, and abuse related concerns through preventative education and appropriate responding procedures.
MCFD Helpline for Children
If you are a child or youth and would like to talk to someone, call the Helpline for Children at 310-1234. You do not need an area code. You can call at any time of the day or night and you do not have to give your name.